Friday, April 03, 2020

 

MOMENTS OF PLEASURE, AND OTHER POEMS BY DONOVAN BALDWIN WRITTEN MARCH 4, 2020

By Donovan Baldwin

moments of pleasure
our afternoon interludes
times of guiltless sin

-----

falling leaves floating
side to side on autumn breeze
humming through the trees

-----

my words messages
poems adrift on the sea
seeking your soft shores

-----

Old customs leave us
To be missed a bit
Perhaps as memory.
My great aunt Lula always
Wore her "widow's weeds"
In public after uncle Irwin died.
Respecting his memory,
Widow in public,
Woman at home alone
In her simple floral dress,
Hair up in a bun,
Awaiting death.

-----

Life is a two edged word
One edge is obvious,
Necessary...
Existence.
The other is optional,
Less specific...
Pleasure.
Yet one gives the other
Worth,
Value,
Purpose,
To truly live
One must live.
Tricky word,
Those who understand...
Understand.

-----

humming an old song
near forgotten melody
wordless memory

-----

her brilliant flower
love's sweetly scented blossom
in nature's garden

-----

nature speaks to me
ancient tongue i understand
but cannot utter

-----

I am never alone
For discourse I, at least,
Can see one side
Upon the page,
The words of,
Philosophers, and
Frivolous fools
Poets, potentates, and
Pundits,
And, as for company,
Your eyes upon me
In my imagined room,
Hand warm upon
My shoulder,
As I read.

-----

Some own the land
On which I stand,
But none all that I see.

And for the ocean
I have the notion
It alone belongs to me.

Those with gems and rings
Own material things,
Which reside within my being

They'll never own
For they've never known
The poet's way of seeing.

-----

strange though i may be
i am but poet at heart
sharing dreams in words

-----

madly making love
lost in the moment's passion
our desires set free

-----

who i am inside
lover of life sun and wind
i will share with you

-----

Poetry Copyright 2020 By Donovan Baldwin
Art: Adam & Eve by Adriaen van der Werff

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?