Thursday, February 15, 2024

 

A LOVER'S TALE - A POEM BY DONOVAN BALDWIN

 On wet gray stones my boot heels clattered,

Echoes from silent walls... as if it mattered,

That she and I had passed this way,

And, parted at the dawn of day.


One hurried night of thoughtless pleasure,

While taken to its coarsest measure,

Within my heart a bright light gleamed,

It had been more than what it seemed.


Touched, oh yes touched deeply by,

The lady who had caught my eye,

Who I had claimed so casually,

Yet, tossed aside so soon to be...


And yet, 'twas I was caught within,

As net of love rose from our sin,

And as I heard the first bell toll,

She left ME there, a joke so droll.


As I lay, unbelieving and heartsore,

She left my world and shut the door,

And let the darkness in my soul,

Yes, on ME a joke so droll.


Copyright February 15, 2024 by Donovan Baldwin

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?