Friday, May 29, 2020

 

A DRIVE ALONG THE COAST, AND OTHER POEMS BY DONOVAN BALDWIN WRITTEN APRIL 13, 2020

By Donovan Baldwin

A drive along the coast
Majestic trees and crashing waves.
Big blue ocean alive at the shore,
Extends into another eternity.
Sea meets sky and disappear
Together over an unseen horizon,
Become the same for shores with
Other watchers contemplating
Similar sights and considerations.

-----

i am receptor
collector of stray signals...
focused into beams

-----

peaceful warrior
soldier once poet often...
contradictory

-----

if you felt my words
sense them as they flow through me...
you would cry with joy

-----

black night out west
mountain hidden beside me...
distant lonesome howls

-----

it always changes
despite same sun trees wind sky...
each day truly new

-----

Walking amid the slowly waving trees
Listening to the wordless messages
Leaves and branches voice of the wind,
The nearby repetitions of the waves,
The earth saying so much without
Words or voice, branding me with
The sun's heat, burning in the
Memories I'll cherish forever,
Youth in nature never forgotten.

-----

I walk boldly onto
This dangerous field of poetry,
Armored only in a weak chain mail
Made of plaited phrases,
Leaving behind my lexicon shield,
Taking in place of page, my muse,
To serve up my weapon words,
And, bind my wounds after,
Consoling me with kisses.

-----

Something about the written word
The smell of books, touch of the pages
Reality in reverse and forward,
Reader and writer sharing contact
Of mind and heart and almost hand,
As one sets down upon a printed page
Thoughts and ideas to be picked up,
Turned over, and stored away with greed,
To later run our fingers through and
Gloat in private at our treasure.

-----
Poetry copyright 2020 by Donovan Baldwin
Photograph, Pacific Ocean, Monterey Peninsula by Donovan Baldwin

Labels: , , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?