Sunday, December 02, 2018

 

WHY DO I WRITE?

By Donovan Baldwin

Why do I write?

Why does anyone write?

They have, they believe, something to say.

Right?

Well, for a "non-writer", that may be sufficient, but, the word "writer" is a slippery devil. It, of course, can be used to define anyone who takes up pen (or keyboard) and... well... writes.

Something!

Anything!

I have written standard operating procedures which were published and distributed to several sections of a military facility... made the "law of the land", if you will. Still, that, to ME did NOT feel like "writing".

Now, when I write poems, or even small screeds such as this one, I am, to my mind, a writer. In this writing, I am turning loose what a lady named Subi Nanthivarman so delightfully refers to as her "Writing Genie", or, apparently, "WG" to friends and coworkers.

Wonderful concept for me.

That weird little thing in my brain (in my case a Leprechaun-like creature), that has things to say and insists on sharing them with its human host in this symbiotic relationship. I don't control it, nor it me, yet, when it asks for pen or keyboard, I must comply.

For me, THAT is when I, with the aid of my faithful side-kicker, become a writer.

Why do I write?

Because as an obedient servant to the creature within, I must obey its demands or suffer the consequences.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?