Wednesday, November 08, 2017

 

Just Doing What Comes Natural

By: Donovan Baldwin

I have always been interested in health, exercise, and fitness.

In fact, over the years I have written and published several articles on those subjects.

Even so, I try NOT to be a "health nut".

Not to say that's a bad thing, it's just my personal desire and interest to balance who I am, and what I do, with the realities of the world, and my own beliefs and desires.

I believe in "natural food", keeping in mind that "natural" is not a magic word.

Rattlesnake venom is natural, as is gravity acting on an avalanche above a busy ski slope.

However, within the constraints of my reality, caregiver for two people, I try to avoid unnecessary, and "unnatural" ingredients in my food. I usually cook my own meat, fix raw or steamed vegetables, eat things such as bell peppers, thanks to a certain someone who cares about my health, and other raw vegetables and fruits.

I'm not perfect, but, I try.

Because of my personal obligations, and their affect on time and energy, prepared foods still appear in my diet sometimes.

Still, I look for solutions.

The other day, with this in mind, I checked a "Paleo" meal in the frozen food section of my local Walmart. Lots of pretty veggies and meat visible through the wrapping.

Then, I read the ingredients...after the meat and veggies, it read like a chemist's shopping list.

Often, we try to do the "right thing", but, there are hidden pitfalls we don't always recognize.

Don't believe me?

Try to give up sugar.

Read labels. You'll see what I mean.

Copyright by Donovan Baldwin

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?