Monday, October 23, 2017

 

The Limitations Of Words

By: Donovan Baldwin

I love words, but, sadly, they do have limitations.

For one, they are finite, combined in multitudinous patterns in attempts to define or describe a nearly infinite, set of events, emotions, experiences, things, actions...perhaps even that list is infinite.

Probably not, but, for most humans it might as well be.

I was recently thinking about a single word, "courage".

I have seen it defined as "the ability to do something frightening" and "strength in the face of pain or grief".

Good enough for most of us, most of the time. We can all come up with images or memories of our own acts, or those of others, that fit those definitions.

I am also sure that many of us can think of acts of "courage" that might not fit neatly into those definitions. I'm sure a lot of semantic quibbling would occur, but, still, people do courageous things, big, and small. every day.

I often feel that facing each new day is a pretty courageous act for some of us.

Going in to work, having a baby, burying a loved one...the list of commonly courageous stuff is endless it seems.

Don't get me wrong, I respect people who do the extremely courageous things, especially those who do so for the good of others. Think about police officers, fire fighters, soldiers, doctors, nurses, linemen after a storm...the list is long. Lots of people doing things requiring courage.

Still, a lot of you, moms, dads, "ordinary people" (no such thing, really) do courageous things without complaint or recognition daily.

Just want you to know I am aware that you're out there, and I try to spot you and thank you. If I miss you, here's a general "Thank you!" I know that's not perfect, but, would like to day it anyway.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?