Monday, December 25, 2017

 

Secret Of The Experts

Years ago, I was an optician. I sometimes helped patients with problems they were having with their glasses.

Sometimes a patient would say their glasses were not adjusted quite right.

Most issues could be resolved easily, but, occasionally, a patient could be difficult. Of course, when it was a matter of personal comfort, that was one thing, but, when it was a matter of how a bifocal, or a strong lens, should sit in relation to the eye, that's another.

Sometimes, after several adjustments, an experienced optician would know the glasses were perfect, but, the patient would still complain that they were "not quite" right.

I would "think" for a minute. Give an "Aha!" look, seek an imaginary tool, and head briskly for the back, saying with certainty, "Somebody must have taken the tool I need into the lab. It's what I've needed to fix these."

Once in the lab, I would lay the glasses on a shelf, and go have a cigarette (I smoked back then.). After a few minutes, I would grab the glasses, go back to the patient, beaming at the glasses and holding them as if I was proud of them.

I would hand them to the patient, saying, "Yep! That did it!"

They would put them on and were satisfied.

Worked every time.

Sometimes things ARE okay. We just want confirmation.

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?