Monday, June 08, 2020

 

LECHEROUS GODS PURSUE, AND OTHER POEMS BY DONOVAN BALDWIN WRITTEN APRIL 17, 2020

By Donovan Baldwin

Lecherous gods pursue,
Nymphs in the woods,
Whose soft laughter belies
Their theatrics of innocence,
Artifices of naiveté,
Running slowly and
Glancing behind,
To assure themselves
Their pursuers,
Have not yet,
Given up the chase,
Before its happy ending.

-----

protected myself
hardened my heart's defenses...
then you conquered me

-----

just a boy at heart
still trapped by the woods and sea...
not seeking escape

-----

sweeter than sugar
i lick honey from your lips...
wet with your desire

-----

a tiny dewdrop
one gleaming jewel at dawn...
over and over

-----

i'm not an artist
mere poet drawing with words...
ephemeral art

-----

write or not to write
never a valid question...
i'll stop when i'm dead

-----

I never asked the wind to blow,
But grateful am I that it does so.
I never requested the sun to shine,
But it does each day as if the wish were mine.
I never put the moon in the nighttime sky,
But my heart swells when it gleams in your eye.

-----

shy blossom folded
opens up and peeping out...
invites bee within

-----
Poetry copyright 2020 by Donovan Baldwin
Picture: Statue of Apollo and Daphne by Gian Lorenzo Bernini

Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?