Saturday, October 27, 2018

 

Liberty Valence Was Shot Too Many Times For Me

By Donovan Baldwin

In 1962, age 17, I was a theater usher at the Saenger Theatre , in Pensacola, Florida.

Teenage dream. Free movies!.

Just had to stand there, red blazer or vest, and black bow tie, a few nights a week, holding a flashlight, and help people find their keys, answer questions about the next showing or coming movies, and, eat popcorn.

The first movie I worked was "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence", with John Wayne, Lee Marvin, and Jimmy Stewart, three of the biggest stars of the day.

First night was great... but, by the third showing, I was beginning to get a little tired of Liberty Valence being shot.

By the third NIGHT, I wanted to shoot him myself.

CUT TO THE CHASE, ALREADY!!!

John Wayne did it!!!

Everybody go home!

Of course, for a while, each new movie had an appeal, but, over the next year, even that, and the free tickets to the Saenger, and its sister theater down Palafox Street, the Rex, wore thin.

Since then, movies have never quite had the attraction for me as they once did.

Part of that is simply age, but, part of it was being... well part of it.

Sometimes, if we get too close, or something becomes too common to us, it loses its appeal.

You know what? I think I'd like to see John Wayne gun down Lee Marvin one more time for old time's sake.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?