Saturday, August 11, 2018

 

We Protect Our Children. That's Only Natural.

By: Donovan Baldwin

We protect our children. That's only natural.

When I look back on MY childhood, in a much different era, place, and with different dangers, I am sometimes surprised that I survived.

I spent days alone in the woods climbing trees, encountering snakes and strangers, finding all sorts of things which I inspected without fear of contamination, including discarded magazines which enhanced my knowledge of anatomy... somewhat, swam in Pensacola Bay, shot guns, used knives, threw rocks and shot whittled arrows from a homemade bow, at people doing the same to me.

I rode my bicycle in traffic every day, in my early teens getting up at 3 A.M. to ride my bike to an isolated place to get my newspapers and deliver them in the dark by myself.

Had the usual boyhood fights and arguments, and no-holds-barred football games and wrestling matches. Climbed everything... trees, walls, and even a couple of buildings.

Still, somehow, I made it here.

As a grown up, in dangerous occupations, I survived, at least in part, because I knew what I was doing.

As a kid?

Not sure HOW I made it.

Just a spin of Lady Luck's wheel, I guess.

Anyway, that, and Sister Mary Fides, and that dear little storytelling Irish priest, Father Cunningham, set my imagination in gear, and on fire, so that the boy's body, and mind, took it from there, and always did something with the memories.

Just meandering thoughts arriving here this morning.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?