Sunday, March 11, 2018

 

Mom's 100th Birthday

By: Donovan Baldwin

Just returned from Kentucky (December 2017), where family celebrated my mother's 100th birthday (December 23, 2017, for the record).

It was an experience.

I can use a lot of adjectives, and many fit. Fill in whatever pops into your mind.

Yes, an experience, and something to write about in itself, but, I came back with other thoughts as well.

My sister has four daughters, who, between them, have given HER seven grandchildren...all quite intelligent, attractive, active, and competent in many areas. They take after her, not me, apparently.

Anyway, I seldom get to see all of them, and, even upon this auspicious occasion, several could not attend. However, stories abounded and there was much laughter, often at the expense of whomever was NOT present.

Still, it was all quite loving and good natured.

Some of the stories I knew. Some I had not heard, but understood because I knew the people...nieces, grandnieces, and grandnephews.

As much as I DID enjoy all of these, there were moments when I was NOT part of the party. Not that they shut me out, just...I had not been there at some historic, often hilarious, moment well remembered by others.

However, as we celebrated, my mom's, their grandma's or great grandma's, 100th birthday, stories were told, jokes were made, and we teased each other.

Good memories, past and at the moment.

Lesson learned.

Build memories while you can.

You'll want them later.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?