Sunday, January 07, 2018

 

Indoor Skydiving

By: Donovan Baldwin

As I was driving through the Dallas - Fort Worth, Texas area yesterday, I passed a building I've passed many, many times before.

You can do indoor skydiving there.

As I understand it, large amounts of air are forced upwards and you can get in that flow of air, and literally be "floating on air".

Now, this sort of "adventure" holds no appeal to me.

Not saying I wouldn't enjoy the sensation, but, just holds no appeal to me. Still, I can understand the experience. I used to skin dive in Pensacola Bay, and the Gulf of Mexico, and the feeling of floating free and unencumbered by gravity is quite pleasurable, and even liberating..

Even so, I feel no urge to go do indoor skydiving, even knowing I might find enjoyment in it.

There were cars parked there, so, I suppose there were people doing it. There were other businesses around the indoor skydiving establishment, restaurants, crazy golf, motels, shopping...even a mall across the highway.

Each of those places had people doing things.

I wasn't there. I was driving by. For just a moment, as I often do, I wondered who those people were, what they looked like, what their thoughts were, why they were there, doing whatever they were doing.

I wondered if they ever wondered about all the people in the cars on Airport Freeway between Dallas, and Fort Worth.

It seems to me, that we don't know enough about the people we share this world with any more.

They aren't our neighbors anymore.

Maybe too many different people like to do too many different things, and, in our 24-hour, 7-day a week world, we can become TOO isolated, too interested in our own interests, when the most interesting thing should be other people.

I sometimes think of it as what I call, "The Tower of Babel", effect. I don't think indoor skydiving is tearing society apart, it's just that sometimes we seem to be trying too hard, to find too many, "exciting" and "interesting", things to do, instead of finding excitement and interest in the people around us.

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?