Friday, November 03, 2017

 

Why NOT Do What I Can?

By: Donovan Baldwin

I'm not as strong as I used to be.

Physically, I mean. Of course, part of this is simply the result of aging. We lose muscle mass and strength as we age.

However, in my particular case, I also have arthritis, osteoarthritis, to be exact, degenerative joint disease, in almost every area of my body. In fact, the Veterans Administration just diagnosed osteoarthritis in my shoulder joints. Didn't need to tell me. All I have to do is try to throw a ball for the dog in the backyard.

Osteoarthritis limits the pressure, or strength, I can apply when lifting, throwing, running, jumping, whatever. It's a physical thing, but, it's a mechanical thing too.

Some types of exercise can offset muscle mass loss, increase muscular strength, and, exercise can even help overcome the mechanical and physical difficulties of arthritis.

That's not to imply that even under the best conditions of nutrition and exercise, joint health and strength will be restored to what it would have been without the effects of aging and arthritis.

Still, even though the results cannot be perfect, it just doesn't make sense to me NOT to do what I can.

I was speaking with someone today, someone who is now facing new physical limitations.

Their attitude was, "Well, I can't do that any more."

Being who I am, I just don't get that attitude.

There are things people faced with loss of mobility can do to reclaim some of their mobility and activity. There are new paths they can follow...not the same as what they are used to, but, new paths of pleasure and excitement.

Yet, some, like this person, are saying, "I can't do ANYTHING" because what they are accustomed to has changed.

I used to be like that.

The U.S. Army took care of that during Basic Combat Training at Fort Jackson, South Carolina, in 1966.

They taught me then and there, that limitations exist, but I can overcome at least some of them, and, often, most of them.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?