Sunday, November 05, 2017

 

Fitting Star Shaped Souls In Neat Round Holes

By Donovan Baldwin

I have heard all my life, and you may have too, that old people get "set in their ways".

I have also heard that when people get old, their mind goes and they start doing foolish things.

Well, I'm "old people" now, myself and have applied my keen analytical mind to these beliefs and have reached a decision...

"Horse hockey!"

Like people of all ages, there are old people who are on the ball, alert, aware, and flexible. And there are also old people who fit the stereotype perfectly.

However, there are also old people who are somewhere in the middle, just as an acne-ridden teenager awash in a hormonal tide, or a middle aged person experiencing a midlife crisis.

We are supposed to take each person as they are, not plug them into some hole into which they are supposed to fit.

Society likes to use these pre-designed and designated holes for "people classification" because it makes it easier to decide things about the person, including how we are going to deal with them.

As I age, I find that many of the rules and norms of society, which meant so much to me in younger days simply don't make sense anymore.

It's not that I don't understand the "sense" behind them. They just don't make sense.

I think sometimes that's why old people act like we do.

We've seen past the nonsense of trying to fit star shaped souls in perfectly round holes.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?