Wednesday, October 11, 2017

 

Thinking About Right And Wrong...

By: Donovan Baldwin

We often think about "right and wrong" as if each of us always knows exactly what that is.

I know that I have at times.

A year or so ago, I canceled cable and switched to antenna TV.

While I do get many current TV programs, a lot of what's available goes back to much earlier times. Lassie and The Lone Ranger...stuff like that. Columbo, Adam-12, Emergency, and Quincy M.E. Shows from the 1950's, 60's, and 70's.

What's really interesting to me is the evidence of social groupings, commonly held beliefs, and "normal" activity that might get someone thrown in jail today.

Sure, it's fiction, but, it reflected the thought processes of the day, and, watching from my imperial height of 72 years, it becomes plain to me how, in many ways, and, in many minds, "right" and "wrong" have changed places been redefined or assigned new or different values.

While genuine right and wrong might not change, otherwise they would not be right or wrong, perceived right and wrong goes up and down, back and forth depending on the prevailing winds blowing through the society and government of the moment.

It can be confusing, even without the pressures of modern, multi-cultural society, to decide what to believe, who to support, and what virtue, or vice, to admit to.

I just do my best from day to day, and hope everything comes out okay.

I have lived through seven decades and am on my eighth, give me a break, please.

My concepts and definitions of right and wrong may not always be the same as yours.

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?