Saturday, October 21, 2017

 

The Pleasure Of Being Sick

By: Donovan Baldwin

NOTE: This post was actually written two weeks ago. The cold that I refer to is past and I am better now.

Being sick, which I have been with some sort of cold or flu-like thing, for the last three days hasn't been as much fun as it was when I was a kid.

First, since I never got sick during summer vacation or on weekends, I always got sick so that I got to miss school.

Then, I got to stay in my pajamas all day, and sleep in my parents' big bed during the day. Sometimes a lady named Maggie would watch me if my mom had to work. She was nice and would do things for me, but never smiled.

I would fall asleep, with her sitting on the vanity chair in the room, doing nothing, and, when I woke up she would still be there. Hadn't moved. Watching me, which she was being paid to do, with the same look she had when I fell asleep.

Once, I remember telling my mom to wake me up to listen to Roy Rogers on the radio. When I woke up his show was over. I was mad, but, mom told me she thought it was better that I sleep.

Mom's gonna be 99 in two months, so, I guess I'll forgive her.

In those days, doctors made house calls, so, that was kind of fun, and, if I was congested, like the last few days, my mother would set the card table up on the bed, put a sheet over it like a tent and run the vaporizer to help me breathe better.

From time to time everybody in the family would stick their heads in and ask how I was, as I lay there being waited on hand and foot, lying in bed all day, with comic books scattered all around me.

Yeah, being sick was kind of fun back then, except for the feeling bad part.

Now, you just feel bad and wish it was over.

Wish I had some comic books. 

Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?