Thursday, October 12, 2017

 

Strange Things Hanging On A Family Tree...

By: Donovan Baldwin

Some of us have strange things hanging on our family tree.

This thing in the picture is one of mine.

It's a blackjack, or "cosh". It's made of leather, has a spring handle to enhance the effect, and a weight in the end. Its purpose is knocking people in the head.

It's okay, my great uncle on my father's side, Appleton Calhoun 1867-1926 (hence my middle name 'Appleton') was a security guard, I believe for the railroad.

There's a chance that he used this well-worn little head knocker to convince tramps and hobos (different people) NOT to try to get a free ride in a railway car.

I used to have his gun too, a .32 Smith & Wesson Model 2, but, lost that to medical bills for my daughter many years ago.

It's a nasty little thing, but, still, when I uncovered this in a tub in the garage this morning, I was happy. It's my only link back to that side of the family, and it was nice to know I hadn't lost it...despite the injuries it may have caused in the past.

That's one thing about links to the past.

The past may not have always been that great, but, it was real. We cannot overlook the reality or turn our backs on it.

Pretending it was something it was not, ignoring what it really was, is re-writing history to make yourself feel better.

I'll just forgive my family for being who they were at that time, and not condemn them because they aren't what I want them to be now.

Hope you'll do the same for me. I will if you will.

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?