Sunday, October 15, 2017

 

My High-Heel, Pointed Toe, Cowboy Boots...

By: Donovan Baldwin

I was once guilty of animal cruelty.

Sorry about that, but he started it.

Here's how it happened.

I used to go horseback riding in Pensacola, Florida. This would have been about 1966.

The area is car dealerships now. Back then, there were fields, pecan orchards, and a riding stable. I went riding every week for several months.

At first, I rode wearing tennis shoes, until one day they gave me an ill-tempered horse, who had a habit of turning his head and trying to bite your feet.

They warned me. Told me to just kick him in the mouth and he would stop.

Well, seems this horse didn't mind if you kicked him with tennis shoes. So, I rode him up to their store, went inside, and bought a pair of pointy-toed, high heeled, cowboy boots.

Got back in the saddle.

He tried to bite one more time.

I kicked him one more time.

Problem solved, resolution achieved.

Of course, in those days I had no more use for the boots, except when I went riding.

However, I thought they made me look cool.

When the army sent me to Germany, I found they had a certain appeal to some Germans...especially of the female persuasion.

A lot of times we do things that seem to make sense at the time.

Sometimes, when the real reason has passed, we find other reasons to keep on doing what we do. Sometimes it doesn't really matter.

I could have switched horses, I guess, and never bought my fancy, pointed toe, high heel, cowboy boots.

Although they generated interest, I really didn't pick up more chicks, and they hurt my feet.

The horse won in the long run, I guess.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?