Thursday, July 20, 2017

 

Talking Big, Talking Down

By Donovan Baldwin

During my 72 years on this Earth, I have studied my way through college courses, and read my way through many books; technical, informational, philosophical, and fictional.

I have acquired, and forgotten, various, and sometimes esoteric, job skills.

I have learned all kinds of common and technical terms for "stuff" from abstruse and confusing, to absolutely senseless.

One thing in common about ALL these terms is: If you say any of these terms to somebody who doesn't know what THAT term means, you might as well be speaking a foreign language. THAT also means that, if you use one of those terms to someone who does not understand it, someone who may be ten times smarter than you OR ME, and they don't react properly...they are not dumb.

If we understand their confusion and take the time to explain what was actually meant, THEN, neither are we.

“If you wish to converse with me,” said Voltaire, “define your terms.”

Two people cannot understand each other, or even honestly agree or disagree, if they do NOT understand what the other is saying. Yet, so many times I have seen someone training, or arguing with, someone, gloat over their supposed superiority because they used terms the other did not understand, or was not familiar with.

Someone who intentionally uses unknown or esoteric terms to make another seem ignorant, is an ideal example of ignorance.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
Bravo! I couldn't agree more. & so well put too! I've been on both sides of that coin at one time or another in the 64 years sense I drew my first breath. I've brandished words in an audacious manner like a weapon. I've also had my intelligence aggressively questioned by authorities who's approval I felt was paramount at the time. Which left me feeling inadequate and of no consequence. I decided I would never want to be responsible for making someone else feel as I did. No one deserves to be made to feel trivial or stupid. Every living creature has a purpose and a place. Even the worst of the worst can be the best at something .Even if it's only to serve as the best example of a bad example.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?