Monday, January 29, 2018

 

Family Footnote

By: Donovan Baldwin

As I have mentioned from time to time in other places, I do genealogy.

While researching my family tree I came across an interesting footnote.

Now, this is not about me. The man is not even in my bloodline.

After the death of my father's mother, her husband, my grandfather, married a woman named Merrell. Turns out HER father, as a sheriff, stood down a lynch mob, and the incident was recorded in a story by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens), which was published after his death.

I claim no glory, by blood or relation, but, it feels special to be that close to history.

Not just to have a near-relative in the writings of Mark Twain, but, in the brave act of a man who upheld his duty.

Gave me chills. Way to go, great grandfather-in-law, however many times removed.

That may be the basis for a story or a poem someday.

You deserve it. I know Mark Twain did it better, but, I'm closer.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?