Monday, December 18, 2017

 

Errant Thoughts On Errant Thoughts

By: Donovan Baldwin

I sometimes post on LinkedIn odd things that pop into my mind. I call these little ramblings, "Errant Thoughts". Some even wind up being re-posted here, after they roll off my LinkedIn feed.

A definition of "errant" reads, "erring or straying from the proper course or standards".

Another definition is, "traveling in search of adventure", as in "knight errant".

My errant thoughts, usually of the first definition, are that, in more ways than one. Not only do they wander off the beaten path, but, they dodge in and out of the underbrush within my brain.

I can be thinking about eggs, and write a commentary on paper airplanes without the foggiest clue how I got there.

This is NOT a problem in these little comments of mine. In fact, this can be fun.

However, uncontrolled swerves and bumps in dealing with life, and solving problems, especially if the boss is waiting for a solution, can be problematic in itself.

On the other hand, the ability to stray "from the proper course or standards" has resulted in some awesome discoveries and advances.

Sometimes these are referred to as "accidents".

I prefer to think of them as errant thoughts, in the mind of some "knight errant" of progress.

Most people will just call it daydreaming, and the boss will be here any second, so, quick, make it look like we're really doing something, and not just saving the world.

Still, I wonder if you could make an airplane out of egg shells, or a make a plastic like egg shells. What if you used the egg's structural properties for passenger protection?

Hmmm. Another errant path to follow.

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?