Monday, January 08, 2018

 

I'm My Own Best Friend?

By: Donovan Baldwin

I sometimes get "inspiration" for these few words as thoughts come tumbling from a fumbling mind, by reading through some of the comments on social media feeds, such as at LinkedIn.

A few days ago, I saw one from Denise W.

It started off, "I'm literally my own best friend..."

It goes on with some tongue-in-cheek remarks in that vein.

Her little post got me to thinking, though, about how much we SHOULD be our own best friend, yet sometimes we become our worst critic, or, even our own worst enemy.

I wonder why that happens?

You would think that we would be talking to ourselves as we would to a best friend. We should be encouraging and praising and advising ourselves as we would someone we cared deeply about.

I don't really think it's so much that we DON'T care about ourselves, our feelings, hopes, and dreams.

I think, just musing here, that we hear so much "No", and "You can't do that...", that we expect someone's supposed to say it. So, instead of looking for reasons why we can, should, ought to, whatever; love, dance, smile, succeed...we listen for the expected voice that tells us we can't...just because we expect it to be there.

Surely there's someone somewhere who would tell us to sing, to dance, to be happy, to risk a kiss.

If they aren't handy, maybe we need to step up, be our own best friend, and say some good and happy words to ourselves.

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?